You may experience issues trying to load FORMED on your SmartTV's browser. This is because the pre-loaded browser on your SmartTV may not be compatible with our site configurations. Our supported browser's are Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge and Internet Explorer.
For this reason we recommend the below suggestions for using FORMED on your SmartTV.
Direct Connection from an HDMI-enabled computer:
You may use an HDMI cord/cable to connect your HDMI-enabled computer to your SmartTV (all of which have at least one HDMI input). After you have connected the cord to both devices your computer screen should be mirrored on your SmartTV.
If not you may need to navigate to your computer's projector/projector settings and ensure that either "Duplicate" or "Second Screen Only" is selected. The latter choice will cause the video to only appear on the TV.
Direct Connection from an Apple smart phone or tablet:
You may connect your Apple device directly to your TV by purchasing a lightning-to-HDMI adapter. This adapter will allow you to connect an HDMI cable from your TV to your device. You can purchase these at most major electronics retailers.
Direct Connection from an Android smart phone or tablet:
You may connect your Android device directly to your TV, similarly, by purchasing a mini-HDMI-to-HDMI adapter. These can be purchased at most major electronics retailers.
If you use Google Chrome as your browser you can stream videos or movies from FORMED with a Chromecast to your SmartTV. This device will allow you to stream FORMED from your computer, tablet or smart-phone to your SmartTV.
*We've found the easiest way to cast FORMED is by using a computer with the chrome browser, rather than casting from a phone or tablet.
Casting from your Computer:
Instructions for installing and "casting" (the term for streaming your video to your TV from Chrome) are below:
- Plug the Chromecast into a USB port on your TV and follow the instructions provided in the Chromecast manual to connect to your wi-fi.
- Download and install the Google Cast Plugin to your Chrome browser on your computer. Ensure that this device is on the same wi-fi as your TV.
- Connect Chrome to your SmartTV.
You will then see the Chromecast icon (a rectangular box with a slanted wi-fi signal in the lower right corner) in the top right of a "cast-eligible tab" - one for which you can cast to your TV. Click that icon and select your TV from the list. Your browsing screen should then be visible on your SmartTV screen. You can then control the video through the player on your computer.
*Please note: Chromecast causes a duplication of the download (as it simultaneously downloads it to your computer/device and TV). Thus, if you have a low speed/wi-fi connectivity this may interrupt the video stream to load. If this is the case we recommend using a direct connection (HDMI).
Casting from Android Smart Phones/Tablet:
If using an Android Smart Phone you will need to download the Google Home App to mirror your Android phone's screen to your TV through Chromecast.
- Connect your Android Phone to the same Wifi as your Chromecast
- Open the Google Home App
- In the top left corner of the home screen, tap the Menu button and select Cast Screen / audio
- Select your ChromeCast Device. Your phone's screen should now be mirrored on your TV screen.
- Navigate to formed.org in one of your phone's browsing Apps.
- Turn your phone to landscape mode and select a video and click the full screen icon.
- Your FORMED video should now be visible in full-screen mode on your TV screen.
Casting from Apple iPhones:
Mirroring through Chromecast is not available for iPhones or iPads. For this reason you will need to download a separate App to your iPhone/iPad in order to cast with Chromecast to your SmartTV.
There are multiple mirroring Apps available for iPhone/iPad in the App store, for instance the Video & TV Cast For ChromeCast App, which is a free App. To use this App follow the below instructions.
- Connect Chromecast to your TV
- Download a mirroring App to your device
- Sync the App with your Chromecast Device (must be on the same wifi network)
- Use the built in browser within the App to pull up formed.org
- FORMED will open within the browser. And your iPhone screen should be mirrored on your Smart TV if not you will be prompted to cast the video.
You can stream FORMED from your iPad or iPhone to your AppleTV device connected to your smartTV.
- Set up your AppleTV device
- Connect your iPhone/iPad to the same wifi network as your AppleTV
- On your iPhone/iPad swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open Control Center.
- In Control Center, tap AirPlay Mirroring, then select your Apple TV from the list. If an AirPlay passcode appears on your TV screen, enter the passcode on your device.
- Navigate to FORMED in your Safari browser. Once you've selected a video to view turn your phone to landscape and enter full-screen mode.